Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Becca Straus and Silkscreen Adventures

Part I: The Amazing Becca Straus
Becca Straus’ jewelry design (it's drop dead gorgeous, how could you forget?) from images I posted of Smart Ftizjerrell's debut collection. Thanks to Mary Kathryn, I was able to hook up with Becca to overhaul her entire brand: logo, identity, packaging, print and soon-to-come web.



We're currently working on a special holiday gift for celeb clients (holy crap Uma Thurman!!) and have designed a package to enclose her phenominally gorgeous jewels. Still in progress, but here is a taste of things to come:


Left: (comp) View from top of gold box with gold silkscreened wrapping paper, gold ribbon, gold stamped hand bound booklet. Right: Silkscreened wrapping paper


booklet

Part II: When Making Silkscreens, PAY ATTENTION!!!
A friend of mine named Hot Rob taught me how to silkscreen in college. We would hole up in my bathroom and burn screens, but with him in the lead, I didn’t pay enough attention (Rob, you're the MAN!).

This past summer, Fi and I tried our luck in the bathroom, this time we included a bottle of wine in the mix. Needless to say, all of those small details that I didn't absorb during the college years came back to haunt me and we had some trouble burning the screen properly.

The main issue: I couldn't find a 250 watt bulb at Home Depot (no idea how that happened), so we rigged 2 bulbs together to create a wattage that was close enough...This is what a screen looks like when your ghetto silkscreen rig blows a light mid-exposure:


Crusty emulsion!

This is what it looks like when you have an amazing 250 watt halogen burning your design into the screen for full exposure time:


Delightful!

My point: All hail the mighty halogen! For some excellent silk screen directions, take thee to No Media Kings.

4 Comments:

Blogger Knitty Yas said...

is that a ring or an ear cuff? regardless its gorgeous!

November 03, 2006  
Blogger Leah Faust said...

It's a bracelet! Big gold and beautiful!

November 03, 2006  
Blogger wee-fi said...

Oh silk screening…what a fun-annoying process ; )

Can I say I love the wrapping paper? Really connects to the product. Well done!

November 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becca Straus rocks the house! Is she still doing her mother of pearl Afghan button necklaces?
xoxo, simoanz

December 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home